Echo 550 Series Obsolescence and Echo 650 Series FAQs
Why is Beckman Coulter Life Sciences obsoleting the Echo 550 series Liquid Handlers?
The Echo 650 series Liquid Handlers (Echo 650, 655, 650T, 655T, and 21 CFR Part 11 enabled versions) are the natural successors to the Echo 550 series Liquid Handlers (Echo 550, 555, and 21 CFR Part 11 enabled versions). The Echo 550 series is part of the first generation of acoustic liquid handling. We’re proud of the role it has played in revolutionizing drug discovery and other workflows. The Echo 650 series meets all major specifications found in the Echo 550 series, and also provides additional features. It’s drop-in ready for your acoustic liquid handling workflows.
Is my acoustic liquid handler eligible for a trade-in?
Yes! Echo 550 series instruments are eligible for trade-in credit. Contact your local automation solutions consultant for more details.
Echo 650 Series Features
What are some unique features of the Echo 650 series as compared to the Echo 550 series?
- The Echo 650 series is Acoustic Sample Tube capable (tube-enabled models and instruments). The acoustic tube is sold by Azenta Life Sciences.
- Compatibility with climate control integration on our Access Single Robot System (SRS) and Dual Robot System (DRS) for limiting the hydration of DMSO-based compound libraries.
- Easier use – no need to swap out source plate inserts to accommodate 384PP vs. 384LDV/1536 LDV acoustic source plates.
- Easier maintenance – elimination of the vacuum restrictor.
Performance & Labware
How do the Echo 550 series and the Echo 650 series compare in performance?
The Echo 650 Series provides similar performance, with 2.5 nL increment drops featuring a 2.5 nL resolution at 10% precision and 8% accuracy*.
*Excludes protein crystallography liquid class
We’re not ready for acoustic tubes yet but may be in the future. Can an Echo 650 or 655 be upgraded?
- Yes. The Echo 650 series can be upgraded for Acoustic Sample Tube dispensing capabilities. Contact your local automation solutions consultant for more information.
Does the Echo 650 series use Echo-qualified source labware?
- In addition to the tube capabilities of the Echo 650T and Echo 655T, the Echo 650 series uses Echo-qualified 384PP (001-14555), 384LDV (001-12782), and source plates as the Echo 550 series instruments. We also offer options such as sterile treatment, amine and carboxyl coatings as well as barcoding.
Please visit our Echo-qualified source plate webpage or contact your automation solutions consultant for more information.
What software applications is the Echo 650 series compatible with?
Similar to the Echo 550 series, the Echo 650 series is fully compatible with Echo software applications version 1.7+ including:
Access Systems Integrations
Is the Echo 650 series fully compatible with Access Systems Automation?
Yes, it is fully compatible with the Access Laboratory Workstation as well as Access SRS and DRS platforms that run Tempo version 2.1+. Please discuss with your automation sales consultant about upgrade options if your system runs Tempo version 1.X.
SDK/3rd Party integration
Has the Echo 650 series been integrated with 3rd party vendors?
Yes. The Echo 650 series has been integrated with major integration vendors. Like the Echo 550 series, the Echo 650 series is capable of being integrated at an event level or through the Echo applications. For more information, please contact your 3rd party integration provider directly or reach out to your automation solutions consultant.
Will I be able to still purchase service contracts for my Echo 550 series instrument?
Yes. All eligible Echo 550 instruments will be supported by our service department for 5 years from the date of obsolescence. Contact your local inside sales associate for more information.